Just like that, my first Whole30 experience is over. I am so amazed at what this process has taught me. Here are a few of the things I’ve learned:
- I actually like healthy food! Who knew Brussels sprouts could be yummy?
- Until now, I was eating WAY too much sugar.
- I’ve learned to pay better attention to labels. Is there any reason my blueberry Eggo waffles should have black carrot juice in them?
- I don’t need Diet Coke nearly as much as I thought I did.
- Real, restful sleep is amazing. So is not having the 2pm slump.
- I’m a car snacker, especially on the way home from work. I don’t need to be.
I highly recommend this process to anyone looking to “reset” not only how they eat, but their relationship with food. I had two eye opening experiences – I came down with a cold at the end and when I took my first shot of DayQuil (I’ve always liked the liquid because it coats your throat and just feels like it’s working), all I could taste was sugar. Same thing when I had half a glass of Sprite with lunch – sugar.
Don’t get me wrong… I had a bowl of ice cream and it was wonderful. But I am going to be more mindful about what I eat and when I eat it. I plan on making decisions on when I choose to eat carbs and sugar, not assuming that every meal should include them.
Was it easy? Absolutely not. Was it worth it? For sure!!!