Well, it’s officially December, which means I can officially listen to Christmas music! It wouldn’t be Christmas without a little Straight No Chaser “12 Days Of Christmas”. I know, not traditional, but this song never fails to make me laugh and get me into the Christmas spirit. Happy Friday!
Month: December 2013
In Memoriam: Nelson Mandela
Today the world lost a wonderful man. Today the world lost Nelson Mandela. In college I took a South African Literature class and learned a lot about South Africa and apartheid. Not only was he a man who showed extreme courage and stood up for what he believed was right, he also had a remarkable lack of anger over the injustice done to him (hello, 27 years of incarceration?!). He was a man who actually practiced what he preached.
More than anything, to me, Nelson Mandela embodied peace. And he’s credited with some amazingly inspiring quotes:
- “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – seriously, this is how I feel about my marathon!
- “A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of.”
- “Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.”
- “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
- “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.”
- “Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
What is amazing is how the South African people are reacting. While, as expected, there are tears, the South African people celebrating Mandela’s life by singing, dancing, and sharing his message of love and peace. I truly hope his legacy continues and that his message of peace and love continues to get propagated around the world. While the world lost a wonderful man today, God gained a very special soul. Rest in peace, Nelson Mandela.
He REALLY Loves Me!
The “he” that I refer to is my husband.
How much is “REALLY”?
Well, he’s about to fulfill one of my biggest, most long running dream.
If you’ve known me for any amount of time, you’ll know that I love animals. Almost all of them (I’m sure there’s some reason to love the skunk and the snake, but I haven’t found it yet). I spent a great deal of my childhood wanting to be a veterinarian and have had pets galore. There has always been one that was at the top of both the proverbial and literal (ie. birthday/Christmas) lists. One that I’ve wanted more than anything, but have never had.
That’s right, a horse.
He’s buying me a horse. An honest to God, breathing, living, 1000+ pound horse.
I am so excited that I think my head might explode. More to come friends… stay tuned for a ton of obnoxious horse-related posts. 🙂
Last night I threw Mike a 40th birthday party. It was supposed to be a poker party, but we did not end up playing a single hand of poker. What we did do was eat a ton of food, drink a lot of booze, and just have an overall really fun time.
The singing of “Happy Birthday” and blowing out of candles was preceded by a shot. I asked someone to take pictures as I had what seemed like a brilliant idea…
Needless to say, the favor was returned:
The party was seriously a good time… it was great to have so many people come out and celebrate Mike!