I had it in my head that I would photo document and blog every step of the coop building process and was actually doing pretty well for a while. Then I got tired. And was frantically working on the coop after work and in the morning, and any other spare minute I had. Lesson learned: build the coop before you buy the chickens. Those little suckers grow fast!
That said, today I finished the coop and moved the girls in! I still have some touching up I want to do on the trim (where the screws are, etc), but it’s good enough to live in!
I will be adding some stairs so that it’s easier to get in and out of the coop.
Inside I put a roost and took a tip from a lot of folks online and used linoleum floor. It helps with cleanup and I scored a remnants roll for only $13!
I hand carried Stretch down and she got to be the first chick to be in the coop. Because she’s my favorite.
Next up: the run. I bought the lumber for it today and will get to work on it tomorrow after work. I have some time… the chicks have to stay inside the coop for a week or so… that’s how they learn it’s home and “come home to roost” each night.